Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Eat Simply Eat Well

Food is an expense that can easily get out of hand. Forget to shop for dinner, heck, just order some pizza. If that is happening to you more than, say, once a month, your food budget could skyrocket.

It's not that hard to eat well on a budget. But it does take some work. Some cost-conscious folks take the grocery price book angle and keep track of prices at several grocery stores in their area. Then, they check the circulars each week and make up their list, focusing on what is cheapest that week. Some parts of the country offer double coupons, which can make couponing actually pay off.

I personally avoid coupons. I try not to look at the circulars. I also don't shop at many stores. I do the bulk of my grocery shopping at two stores: the local market two blocks away that is part of a small, local chain and Costco. If you've come here from my other blog, Confessions of a Hoarder, you'll know why: I tend to stockpile. I'm one of those strange people who really lovees to grocery shop. I'd do it everyday if I could. I'd shop for others! So, for me, going to more stores doesn't guarantee a bargain, it only guarantees that I'll have more opportunities to buy stuff. The more you see, the more you'll want, and the harder the decisions will be to make.

Thus, to save more on food, keep it simple. Choose one or two stores at which to do your shopping. Make a list and stick to it. Plan your meals for the week (or month if you like to plan ahead). Make use of tools like the Crock-Pot and the freezer. If you find an item you often use on sale for a price lower than you usually see it at that store, consider stocking up, but only if there is money available for it in that week or month's budgeted amount for groceries. If *will* go on sale again, believe me.

Another reason to shop at one or at most two stores is that you'll learn their patterns. For example, I really like Cascade Fresh yogurt in the 32 ounce size. It's normal price is $2.99. I know that about once a month, it goes on sale for $1.99. So, I wait until it's on sale, and then I'll often buy two or three containers, which can sometimes even last me until the next sale. You'll get to know the patterns at your local store, and then you won't need the hassle of a price book or the weekly circulars.

Avoid buying convenience foods and junk foods. They cost more per serving and they have less nutrition. They do save time, I'll give you that. And sometimes, you need the help of a packaged mix or pre-made item. Use them in moderation.

How have you saved on your food budget?

1 comment:

Noel Larson said...

First Off, Thank you very much for adding me to your blogroll. That was very kind indeed. I will add you this weekend as well as I very much have enjoyd reading through you blog!

Our biggest food saving had happened by moving to a cash system with our groceries. YOu cannot go over that way. You also will track your purchases better as no one wants to put stuff back :)

This along with using 10% of our grocery dollard to stock up on store loss leaders (those product used to lure you in) we have been able to trim over 33% from where we were before.

Thanks again. And keep up the great writing!