Thursday, July 24, 2008

Can you feed your family for $3 a day?


Grocery Outlet thinks so! (caution: their site is noisy at first). For those who have Aldi's, Grocery Outlet is similar. It's overstocks, close-to-expiration, and out of season foods. Everything is still technically good, even if it's up to or after the sell-by.

I was there the other day picking up some frozen meals for my sweetie to take to work for lunches when I noticed some placards they'd put up around the store. Each one had a day's menu using only items from a frugal Grocery Outlet shopping trip. At the register, they had little booklets with tips, recipes and a shopping list for a week's worth of meals for 4 at $3/day per person.

Could you do it? I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I'll have to make some modifications to accomodate my food allergies, but it shouldn't affect the cost much.

No comments: